The history of Trinity Church is long and includes periods of growth and harmony as well as discord and near disaster.
The first church was established in 1748 in the vicinity of what is now 529 Main Street, through the efforts of Samuel Edson who donated 14 acres of land to the English “Society of Propagation of the Faith in Foreign Parts.” The first church was begun in 1748. Occasional services were held by the clergy who ministered to several area churches.
History of the Present Day Church Structure
The architect for the present church was Stephan Earle of Worcester. The style is similar to English country churches and the angled bell tower is an unusual feature. The church of 1836 was dismantled and its components including the foundation stones, doorsteps, lumber, and bell were incorporated into the present building. The cornerstone which is in the northeast corner contains a pipe with pictures of the first two churches, a history, and a Diocesan newsletter.
The church was consecrated on Tuesday September 23, 1884 by the Right Reverend Benjamin Paddock with 19 area clergy in attendance. The choir was made up of volunteers from the Orthodox, Swedenborgian, and Unitarian choirs as well as our own parishioners. Although the day was chilly and rainy the church was filled with well wishers and parishioners. A social hour and luncheon was held at the home of Reverend Milton Peck, 13 Summer Street, following the service.
Church Building and Material Costs in 1884
The organ, font, reredos, altar embroidery and decorations, bookrest, alms basin, Bible and Prayer book, Altar Cross, and silver communion service were gifts valued at $2850.00.
The cost of the church not including the bell, pews, and lumber from the old church was $11,086.12.
Money paid for land:
Carpets and Cushions:
Glass, Painting, and Sundries:
The window above the Altar was given by the children of St. Thomas Church of Taunton at a cost of $150.00 made by Donald McDonald.
The organ which has since been replaced was a gift valued at $1200.00.
The Reredos was a gift from St. Paul’s of Brookline and was carved of caen stone and Tennessee marble. The movers only charged $7.50 to cart the reredos and bell.
The pews came from the old church.
The Altar, Credence, prayer desk, and lectern were the gift of a parishioner.
The Font and its cover, which cost $157.00, was a gift from Mr. Barry of Boston in memory of his wife Ellen Fobes.
The Altar Cross was a gift that cost $45.00.
The Altar bookrest cost $17.00. Today it would cost several hundred if you could find a duplicate.
The Alms basin was the work and a gift of Miss Florence Bailey.
The Chalice and Paten of solid silver and gold were a gift from a former parishioner of the Reverend Milton Peck. It has been told that the women of the parish gave silver thimbles, teaspoons, etc., which were melted down to make the Chalice and Paten now in use.
The glass in the rose window is on loan to the Parish by Mr. Donald McDonald and is to be returned to him when the window is changed.
In the words of the Reverend Milton Peck, “The difficulties and trials in this parish are great and peculiar and they do not lessen entirely as the work goes on.”
Rev. Nathaniel S. T. Reece retires and Rev. Bailey O. Whitbeck is called to serve as Interim Priest in Charge.
The Sunday School children raised over $600 with youth offering envelopes to which they chose to sponsor Marvin, a child from el Hogar in Honduras, and donate remaining monies to various local charities. They continue this tradition each year.
Trinity’s Mission and Outreach reached beyond assisting local charities such as Habitat for Humanity, St Paul’s table, and the Montello House to help National charities as well by adopting The Church of the Redeemer in Biloxi, MS as a sister parish.
Trinity’s presence on the web kicked off with the design of a new web site in order to be more user friendly and attract potential new parishioners as well as allowing current parishioners to be kept up to date on happenings in the community.